Re: Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

 On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:15:42 -0400
I can certainly see where 3d acceleration is needed on the Linux
desktop. For one, you cannot access the desktop effects unless you have
a 3D capable board.  We also have a chicken and egg issue with
applications. Personally, I would love to see more applications ported
to Linux on the desktop either native or WINE. For years I used MS
Office on Linux until Star Office/Open Office was good enough. I think
we have good enough personal finance software. But, some applications
are sorely lacking:
1. Tax software such as Tax Cut and Turbo Tax. While these are now
available via the Web, there are none (AFAIK) available in Linux, and
usually  WINE/CrossoverOffice has some problems with these.

2. Games. People like their toys. There was a time when the best games
were on the Mac because the Intel architecture (286 and prior) just did
not have the power, but the 386 was powerful enough to support the
games.

The only way developers are going to support Linux is by demand and
some push by the Linux distros.  I think that one reason that Ubuntu
has been successful, is because of Mark Shuttleworth. Jim Whitehurst,
Red Hat CEO, might have a lot of clout, but he has never been in space.
While a trip on the shuttle does not qualify one to be CEO of a Linux
company, it does give you some fame. So, let's say that you are the CEO
of Fubar Software, and you make Windows and Mac applications, and you
get a call from Jim Whitehurst. That probably wouldn't get very far,
but what if you get a call from Mark Shuttleworth.