Re: Giving up on Fedora 9

 David Kramer wrote:
> I guess enough time has gone by that I should consider SUSE again.  How
> does that compare to Fedora (not just what's better or worse, but what's
> different)?

I've been using OpenSuse 10 at work (64-bit) for at least a year now,
and have been reasonable happy with it. I use Ubuntu 7.10 (32-bit) at
home, and they are comparable. I had tried Fedora, but like you,
encountered too many issues with it when I tried to install it, so I
just gave up (I didn't spend a whole lot of time troubleshooting however).

Generally, both OpenSuse & Ubuntu installed fine, OpenSuse on an
ordinary HP desktop (AMD) and Ubuntu on a home-built desktop (Pentium
III). I'm not a huge fan of OpenSuse's menu, and prefer the Ubuntu
programs menu, but the OpenSuse one isn't horrible. I also prefer
Ubuntu's "Add New Programs" GUI to OpenSuse's "Install Software" GUI.
Lastly, I'm still occasionally disappointed in the availability of
64-bit applications on the OpenSuse desktop, however that has improved
dramatically since I first installed. The only _real_ issues I've
encountered, and it was with both, is upgrades apparently breaking
things. Basically, I'd run the upgrade, and then either not be able to
login to an existing account (except as 'root' on Suse), and having to
create new accounts and copy the important parts over. Other than that,
they both have been reasonably stable and supported the hardware in some
way (albeit, Ubuntu was unusably slow with the OSS GeForce video driver,
and I had to load the proprietary bits).
I hope that helps,
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi