Re: Giving up on Fedora 9

 Kent Borg wrote:
> I see periodic recommendations about passwords that say not to use
> passwords because a nice long ssh key is much more secure.  Am I silly
> to be as worried as I am by logins via key files?
>
> Currently I login with passwords that are secure*, and I don't type them
> on keyboards I don't trust (therefore I don't type personal passwords on
> my Windows machine at work).  Keyfiles, on the other hand, need to be
> stored in plain text on the authorized machine.  That gives me the
> willies.  Should it?

Only if you're also using "passphrase-less" keys.  Supposing you use a key
that is as secure as your passwords are (and treat your key passphrase exactly
like you treat your current password), then you have two factor
authentication, and it is more secure.  Now they have "have" something (your
key), and "know" something (your passphrase).  That's generally thought to be
more secure than just a password (especially since it's completely infeasible
to discover the key by brute-force).

Matt

believed to be clean.