Re: Linus Geek of the Week

 I think the interesting thing here is that people focus on Linus
either because of a misconception about who makes an entire desktop
distro or because no one wants to focus on the radicalism of Richard
Stallman.

It's interesting to me because I admire the principled stand of
Stallman and appreciate the technical drive of Torvalds.

It's sort of why I have a soft spot for Tomas Paine, he took a
principled stand against British Rule, Royalism, Religion and all
systems that required people to never use their common sense. But in
the end he was almost arrested for seditious libel in England, almost
guillotined in France which had at first celebrated him and worse
lynched for being an atheist in the US and denied the vote in the very
country he helped create.

We can not, and must not forget Stallman's work and foresight and
celebrate him for Free software which begat so many other movements;
weather he wrote the kernel or not, he wrote the ideas that the
license is based on and one of it's keys to it's success.

Regards, Martin Owens

2008/7/20 Samuel Baldwin <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/7/20, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
>> I think "rather-good kernel" is overly generous. Take a look at the
>>  original source.
>
> He also said it probably wouldn't be ported. Then he titled his M.Sc.
> thesis 'Linux: A Portable Operating System'. So I don't think the
> original source applies at all to what it is now. And is anything
> "rather-good" at version 0.1?

believed to be clean.