Re: Linus Geek of the Week

 On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have mixed feelings about Linus. When all is said and done, the first
> version of Linux wasn't so hot. It took a lot of people a lot of work and
> a lot of time to make it good.
>
> Also, where some people see that he has been a great administrator and
> guide for Linux, one could just point out there are a lot of people who
> could have done the same thing, and there's more about random chance and
> opportunity that this particular guy ended up doing it.

I don't disagree with what you say later about luck and other things
making a difference, but I think you also underestimate whatever it is
that Linus had/did.   Don't forget that 386BSD was released in 1992
while the first (very primitive) Linux code was out in 1991.  For
whatever reason, despite 386BSD being a well tested base on which to
build; none of the free Unices that sprung from 386BSD were ever as
successful as Linux.  Personally, I think it was for the following
reasons:

1. Use of the GPL.
2. A more open style of development (yes, they were both 'open
source'). Linus made it easier to get involved and submit patches if
you were just a user as opposed to a "core" developer.
3. It was easier to use Linux in a mixed OS environment.  386BSD
didn't even support MS-DOS style disk partitioning at first
so dual booting was impossible without purchasing extra hardware.

The first two reasons are management decisions which I believe
encouraged part-time contributors.   The third is technical, but had a
major effect on people's ability to 'test the waters' without jumping
in whole hog which again encouraged part-timers.  I was running SunOS
at work and Minix (and DOS) at home and was deciding between 386BSD
and Linux for my home upgrade.  I had used the BSD family at work
since BSD 2.8 on a PDP-11 and I still switched to Linux because it was
painless and because
I felt like I would be allowed to make a contribution.

Bill Bogstad

believed to be clean.