Re: Linus Geek of the Week

 Let me first say, I use Linux and I like Linux better than BSD, but
history is history.

> There would be no GNU? that is quite a statement and I'd like it if
> you can back that up with something.

Yes, the impetus for "GNU" was the AT&T moves to proprietize UNIX. GNU
stands for "GNU is Not Unix."  The project was started specifically
because there was a need for a non AT&T based unix.

> BSD might have been the best thing since slice bread but the license
> is an academic idealism and doesn't protect the user or the authors.
> If BSD had been available resulting in no GNU the world would not have
> a free os at all.

Way back in the formless mists of pre-history, a consortium of companies
created an operating system called MULTICS. MULTICS was probably one of
the most advanced computer operating systems of its time and possibly
decades ahead of any of its contemporaries.

In 1969 Bell (AT&T) withdraws from the Multics project, and Thompson
writes frist MULTICS like OS for PDP-7, in 1970 the name UNICS is
suggested as a joke. Some time later, AT&T marketing calls it UNIX.

Fast forward

In 1977 early "Berkeley Software Distribution" made available for $50 on
DEC tape for PDP.

1980 AT&T starts to show interest in UNIX and restricts license.

1981 Andrew Tannenbaum starts work on MINIX as a teaching system in
response to AT&T's more restrictive license.

1982 Stallman starts GNU project, also in reaction to AT&T more restricted
license.
1983 Stallman announces GNU.

1984 AT&T divests itself of UNIX and UNIX becomes a commercial product
with restricted source code.

1985 Stallman founds Free Software Foundation
1991 Linus starts looking for suggestions, his original name was "freax"
1991 Linux 0.01 releases

time passes

1994 4.4BSDLite released unencumbered

As you see, had AT&T not restricted the license and then make it a
proprietary product, Linux would not exist.

> Regards, Martin

believed to be clean.