Re: Virtualization preferences

 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Thanks. I also know that Xen now requires Intel VT or AMD V series
> CPUs.

It seems I am in the midst of asking some related investigations...

Yesterday I was looking at kvm.  Assuming one has a CPU with the
virtualizing features (which I don't personally have, but would for a
project at work), it might be pretty good.

It does live migration.  There is an API for manipulating the VMs, both
libvirt which has Python and other bindings, and virsh, which is an
interactive cli.

One thing I discovered yesterday is that there is no provision for a
live migration to, at the moment of switch over, to unmount, fiddle with
your shared storage to shift to new host, and mount.  Bah...  But!  KVM
(and the Qemu user side) is completely open source.  It seems it would
be quite easy to add a hook for that.  In contrast, these demi-open
source products bug me; drbd itself has various limitations that the
developers need to preserve to maintain the delta for the commercial
product.

-kb

believed to be clean.