Boot sectors/devices

 There are days when I begin to think I'm not smart enough to own a
computer.  This is one of those days.

A while back I thought I toasted my laptop's hard drive.  Booting up got
past the POST, and brought me to a screen which simply said "GRUB" in
the top left corner.  I figured that I had somehow hosed my boos sector.

Trying to install grub, do syslinux, and the like all resulted in
failure.  I decided the drive was history, and put it aside.  I was able
to install a new drive, install Fedora 9, and life was happy.

Until today - but today I *did* something which probably caused it.  I
was trying to set up a USB key for Billix
(http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10088 if you happen to read Linux
Journal, also see http://sourceforge.net/projects/billix).  The
installation involves:

"To install to USB key:
0) BACKUP THE STUFF on your key.  This shouldn't hurt anything on there,
but "stuff happens".
1) Ensure your key is formatted with a FAT filesystem.
2) Untar the tarball to the root of your key.
3) run "syslinux -s /dev/xxxn" (where xxx is the device of your key and
n is the number of the partition, ie, /dev/sda1).
That should make your key bootable.  MAKE SURE the device is NOT your
machine's hard disk!
If it your USB key is not bootable, run "install-mbr -p1 /dev/xxx"
(/dev/sda, for example - not /sda1 - we want the device, not the
partition, in this case), then run the syslinux command over again.  The
install-mbr command will write a MBR to the key and make the first
partition the bootable one."

Note in particular steps 3 & 4.  I don't have "install-mbr" on Fedora
(as far as I can tell) but figured "install-grub" would handle it.  Heh.
  I ran it (on /dev/sdb, the USB stick) and tried to boot off the thing.
  This failed.  I tried to boot off the main hard drive (with or without
the USB stick plugged in) and received the same screen/error I got
previously.

This tells me that:
1) It is breakable by software, and so
2) It is likely *fixable* by software.