Re: Partitioning

 I take the more... I dunno I would say "old school" approach as for a home
system I have never really found a need for LVMs. With that being said I
have it looking like this:

/dev/sda1: Boot
/dev/sda2: swap
/dev/sda3: home The amount of times I have had to blow away my system I have
found just deleting /dev/sda4 to be a much nicer approach. I also make this
take up about all but 50 or 100 gigs of my hard drive.
IE: with a 500 gig hard drive this will have around 400 or 450 gigs.
/dev/sda4: Extended with the rest of my disk
/dev/sda5: /
/dev/sda6: /usr (just, and purely just in case I ever decide to make it a
read only partition)
/dev/sda7: /etc (because don't you just hate to loose all those custom
config files?)

When I was on gentoo I also had a partition for the tree. This actually did
speed up the update time, but of course it took an inordinate amount of time
already so I suppose it didn't buy me much. I can't even remember what it
was called... I really should know, I was on that platform for long enough.
grr. ~Ben

For backup media:
/dev/sdb on something like /media or /home/media or something like that

I haven't ever raided my home comp though I know I should. Alternatively I
have built it with /media and /home splitting the second hard drive and
giving large chunks of blocks to /usr but with disks so cheep I could
actually just give all of em
the same amount and assume that the only thing that will really grow would
be home. I don't really like playing with lvms mostly because I like to know
that if I write a bits to a disk, where that disk is and exactly what
partition it's actually getting written to. This may be way too anal but
thats just a preference of mine. ~Ben