Linux file systems

 I am using Ubuntu now, and have used a number of distros in the past. I've
played with file systems and a few years ago I did some benchmarks for a
project.

At that time:
ReiserFS was good for many small file, but performed badly for larger
files. Also a high write and file creation environment performed badly.
ReiserFS was a bit buggy.

JFS and XFS behaved similarly to each other, in that big files and
moderately large amounts of moderately large/small files worked well.
Worked well in a high write and file creation environment. IBM's JFS
seemed more stable and with a better tool chain.

EXT3 was a stodgy all around lame performer. Was one of the worst
performers in dynamic environments.

EXT2 was had pretty good performance but that can be attributed to a lack
of journaling.

For discussion, what is the general consensus on file systems now? Are the
above assumptions still valid? Opinions?

I have a project that may require a million plus directories. Ideally, I'd
like to have them all at the same level and perform well, but if I have
too I can use the hierarchical hash-bucked strategy, i.e. top/0/0/0,
top/0/0/1, top/0/0/2 ... top/0/1/0, etc. to keep the number of files per
directory less than 1000.

believed to be clean.