Re: Computer Start and Shutdown Problems

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, jbk wrote:

> I have a year old MB that has recently refused to restart after a shutdown
> unless I shutoff the Power Supply for an hour. Then it will boot up into the
> OS and then after a short period powers off. I left this computer sit for a
> month and restarted it yesterday and it ran for a couple hours till I shut it
> down via the OS leaving the PS on. I came back hours later and I was note
> able to start it without shutting off the PS for a few minutes and then the
> initial symptoms I described above returned.

I understand that dead electolytic capacitors can sometimes (temporarily)
"repair" themselves if left unused for a period of time. Or perhaps it is
a heat issue, but then I would expect it to recover much more quickly. You
could exclude softare issues by leaving it at the cmos setup screen and
seeing if it had problems even with that.

Daniel Feenberg