HDTV storage needs

Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:

>> How stable is the myth support for the hd-pvrs?
>
> Its supposed to be pretty solid now, so long as you lock the output
> resolution of your cable box to 720p (i.e., have the cable box scale
> 1080i stuff to 720p), because there's still some issues with re-encoding
> interlaced streams. This *might* be resolved shortly though, Janne is
> rewriting parts of the driver's buffer handling, which may help here...

Okay.
Does it work with multiple hd-pvrs on a single backend?

>> Doesn't it require using myth trunk?
>
> Yes, and support is not likely to be backported to 0.21, as it requires
> database schema updates, which would screw with the upgrade path to
> 0.22...

That's what I thought, and seems to jive with what I recall from
the myth list.   Hopefully the myth devs will release a 0.22
sooner rather than later, but it feels like there's just way too
much stuff going on at once in trunk.  For example, how does this
jive with the migration to Qt4?

>> I'm a little loathe to run bleeding-edge software but I
>> really am looking forward to using hd-pvrs.
>
> svn trunk mythtv is generally pretty stable anymore, and when it isn't,
> its usually fixed rather quickly. I ran trunk for the better part of 6
> months before 0.21 was released, never had any issues. Due to lack of
> time, I've simply stuck with 0.21 since it was released, but do plan to
> go trunk Real Soon Now.

Yeah, I kinda did that, too..  And I'm going to have to do that
in order to get HD-PVR support, which I'm going to need based on
RCN sucking so hard.

I wonder how hard it will be to convince the DirecTV installer that
I want three boxes in the basement?  ;)

> Nb: as soon as Janne gives me the thumbs up, I fully intend to patch the
> hd pvr driver into the Fedora kernels.

Cool!  Will this go into F9?

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available