FiOS top box and the computer

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:18:05PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> A friend says he has a component to DVI which should get around the
> HDCP hand-shaking.  From components on the FiOS box, I go DVI to HDMI
> to the monitor.  If this chain is foolish, let me know.

Component is analog. DVI can be analog or digital. HDMI is
digital.

This won't work, unless the component-to-DVI adapter is a fairly
expensive box.

> The box from Verizon has a firewire port, an ethernet port, and a TV
> out.  I was planning on connecting the TV out to a Hauppauge 350 card.
>  I am not sure what one would do with the firewire and ethernet ports
> since Verizon is apparently into encryption.  Thoughts?

Connect the firewire port to your computer. See if you have some
unencrypted channels. I've heard that the first 50 channels or
so are unencrypted on FIOS.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.