From: John Abreau <abreauj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 8:54 PM
To: Myrle Francis <mafmanet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
Cc: Discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Linux/PHP question

It's hard to tell without any information of what "not working" means.

One obvious problem is that you don't allow for the possibility
that two or more instances could try to update the counter file
at the same time.

 Let's say you get 10 hits at roughly the same time, such that
all 10 read the file before any of them write to the file. The last
one to write the file increments the count by 1, and so the count
only goes up by 1 even though there were actually 10 hits.