The next chapter in wireless problems: difference between Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.10?

Don Levey wrote:
> It's a built-in 802.11a/b/g card in my Acer laptop.  It identifies in
> Network Settings as Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.
> When I logged in again as myself (into KDE) I tried to connect via the
> Network Manager applet.  However, even though it saw the
> previously-configured connection (and I was asked for the password) it
> refused to connect.  Instead I was continually prompted for the WPA
> password.

I have a dell that uses the iwl4965 driver, and I have issues similar to what
you describe when I've booted with wireless off via the hardware kill-switch,
then turn it on.  Wireless will work if it doesn't use WPA, but I have a heck
of time trying to authenticate to WPA networks. It works just fine if wireless
is enabled at boot time.

So I wouldn't rule out it being a driver issue.

Do it the other way around (try your normal user, then the new test user) and
see if the test user fails to connect.

Finally,
Don Levey wrote:
> I got what ended up
> being a permissions error on .ICEauthority (being owned by root - but
> I'm not using ICWwm so what gives?)

.ICEauthority has nothing to do with ICWwm, it's an X thing, related to
.Xauthority.

Matt