Backup options for home

I'm looking for relatively cheap nonmechanical means to backup up data
from my home Linux box.

I've been pricing 16GB Compact Flash and SDIO cards.  I'd store a
collection of MP3s on one, and the rest of my data on another.

I've ot my eye on a TransCend 16GB CF card (TS16GCF133) and a Transcend 16
GB SDHC memory card (TS16GSDHC6-s5w).   Some manufacturers boast Toshiba
or Samsung memory.   How much does that really play a role, and are their
prices relevent, or is it just marketing?

What are people's experiences with using CF and SD cards for data
preservation on the cheap?  What is the average data storage life
expectency for solid state devices, such as CF and SD cards, vs their
mechanical equivalents?

Thanks.

Scott