The next chapter in wireless problems: difference between Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.10?

A followup:

Don Levey wrote:
> Matthew Gillen wrote:
>> Don Levey wrote:
>>> It's a built-in 802.11a/b/g card in my Acer laptop.  It
>>> identifies in Network Settings as Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.
>>> When I logged in again as myself (into KDE) I tried to connect
>>> via the Network Manager applet.  However, even though it saw the
>>> previously-configured connection (and I was asked for the
>>> password) it refused to connect.  Instead I was continually
>>> prompted for the WPA password.
>
>> I have a dell that uses the iwl4965 driver, and I have issues
>> similar to what you describe when I've booted with wireless off via
>> the hardware kill-switch, then turn it on.  Wireless will work if
>> it doesn't use WPA, but I have a heck of time trying to
>> authenticate to WPA networks. It works just fine if wireless is
>> enabled at boot time.
>
>> So I wouldn't rule out it being a driver issue.
>
> The hardware kill switch... I remember that I used to have problems
> if it weren't enabled at the right time during startup.  There are
> certain times where hitting that switch will work - just after the
> POST, after udev is enabled.  I've gotten used to hitting that as a
> matter of course.
>

>> Do it the other way around (try your normal user, then the new test
>> user) and see if the test user fails to connect.
>

> As for the sequence of users, if the first user I try upon startup is
>  the test user, it works.  If the first user I try is the normal
> user, I am unsuccessful and there's no "carry-through".

After more testing last night, it seems there *is* some carry-through.
If I try to login first as my normal user (and fail to connect), logging
out and in again as the test user fails each time.  It seems I must use
the test user FIRST.

What's more, though I didn't repeat this enough times for me to be
comfortable being definitive, it seems that I must do a proper logout
restart X and force a login prompt, the connection doesn't make it through.

It seems my next step will be to start moving files in my home directory
out of the way.  Perhaps I can find something that makes a difference
here - unless there's a central file with individual users' settings for
Network Manager that I've failed to find.

Thanks again,
 -Don