Backup options for home

Personally, I would like a nice big disk on a networked backup server,
and some software to keep it backed up to re-writable DVD's in a jukebox.
... Ahhh, someday.

In the mean time, I am playing with the idea of getting a shared server
system at an ISP where I can have a relatively large bandwidth and disk
space available, and just compress locally and backup to there.  I would
just use the IP address and not even get a domain name. :)  ... Just a
thought.

For some folks, places like drbackup.net (I use them) are great for
non-full backups.  They will do fulls but the space gets a bit pricey.
When I was looking they were better than most price wise, and they use
good software along with good security. (Data gets compressed and
encrypted before it is sent, and they don't have your encryption key.
So make a good one and keep it safe!)  I have had to use it to restore
data after a system failure, and it was relatively painless. [re-build
your system, download the client software, and tell it to 'restore'.  It
asks you for your userID/password and encryption key, then it just does
it.  Faster internet connections run faster, duh.]  If you try it (free
for 30 days) tell them I referred you.  I need the brownie points with
them!  Even if you don't want to use them long term, I suggest trying
them out just to see what the options are.  They are nice folk, and have
been good to me and my data!

... Jack