Recommendations for Linux on Lenovo

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 15:03 -0500, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a new job [1], and want to order a Lenovo laptop (Lenovo is
> an approved vendor) that will work with the latest Kubuntu 8.10
> (Intrepid Ibex).
>
> Linux on Laptops http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/lenovo.html points to this post
> http://blog.dreamdevil.com/index.php/2008/05/08/installing_ubuntu_8_04_on_lenovo_r61/
> showing that Ubuntu 8.04 seems to work well on the R61
>
> >From what little I know about the Lenovo lineup, I think the T500 is newer.
>
> I was looking at the ThinkPad T500 15.4" widescreen with integrated
> graphics (because I know the ATI and nVidia drivers are not available
> yet in Ubuntu 8.10)

The T500 is basically the next generation T61, since Lenovo's decided to
change their model numbering scheme. (Been looking at T500's myself, but
can't justify pulling the trigger, since my T61 isn't even a year old
yet).

> But I am not familiar at all with the Lenovo product lineup so I'm
> wondering if anyone here is using Kubuntu / Ubuntu on a Lenovo and
> especially anyone that has upgraded to the newest distribution
> release.

Shouldn't be considerably different from running any modern distro,
everything should Just Work.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org