Is cloud computing a threat to sysadmin jobs ?

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 06:55:30AM -0800, eugene.gorelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> There were lots of discussions recently about how outsourced cloud
> computing environments, like Amazon EC2 can affect future sysadmin jobs.
> As speed and reliability of internet constantly grows, more companies
> prefer to build their infrastructures in third party internet clouds
> instead of creating their own datacenter environments.
>
> Does it mean that building cloud-based environment require less sysadmin
> help that building traditional one ?
> I am curious what other people think about that ?

It depends on what you mean by traditional. If you've already
adopted system management automation techniques, then, no, cloud
infrastructure doesn't reduce the need for sysadmins except
insofar as hardware setup and maintenance are eliminated.

But a company that moves infrastructure into a particular
company's cloud API is riding a tiger. The market will be mature
when there is a common API across multiple cloud vendors.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.