Computer-vendor warranty departments - scrap them?

In the military I learned that "shit rolls down hill".   I've used this=20
principle for many years. An example is that I bought a low cost item=20
($8.00) at Home Depot a few years ago, and after about 6 months one of=20
the components failed to work, so I went back to exchange it. I was told =

that they no longer carry that item (a lie) because the exact same=20
product had a different id. I asked to see the manager on duty and I was =

essentially told to go to hell. I then wrote to Nardelli, the then=20
chairman, and I received an apologetic email from the store manager=20
apologizing for the way I was treated, and was told that I certainly can =

exchange the item. The next time I went in, and I was able to exchange=20
the item with no problem. The bottom line is don't battle the low level=20
employees. They are employed to do a job, NOT to make decisions.=20
Additionally, try not to put the boss into a position of putting down=20
his/her employees, as he/she might back up the employees in a=20
confrontational thing where if you catch him/her privately, you might be =

able to get your problem solved.

My recent experience with Intel was very good. I needed rails kits for 2 =

whitebox (6U) servers. I could have gotten 2 generic ones, but after=20
contacting Intel then sent me 2 complete rails kits ($400 value) free of =

charge. (The systems were free too :-).

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846