Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest XXX1 Saturday November 22, 2008

What is a good Linux distribution?  In 2003 I purchased Red Hat Linux 9
because it was recommended as a version which was easy to load.  My
machine was purchased in 2000 (533 MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, 10 GB hard
drive).  I hear that Red Hat 9 is obsolete, but I have never been able
to do much to modify or update it.  It seems that the easier the
distribution is made for the user, the less the user can have control of
the system.  (It reminds me of my experiences with Windows.)  I am also
concerned with newer products having more "bells and whistles" which
take up RAM and hard drive space and produce visual clutter and rarely
offer anything I could use.  I prefer simplicity in my products.

I would like to bring my machine in to the InstallFest, but I have no
other Linux distributions.  I also would like to learn more about
maintaining and updating a Linux OS.  Any suggestions?

Bruce Borland