Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest XXX1 Saturday November 22, 2008

On 11/17/2008 10:24 PM, Bruce Borland wrote:
> What is a good Linux distribution?  In 2003 I purchased Red Hat Linux=20
> 9 because it was recommended as a version which was easy to load.  My=20
> machine was purchased in 2000 (533 MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, 10 GB hard=20
> drive).  I hear that Red Hat 9 is obsolete, but I have never been able =

> to do much to modify or update it.  It seems that the easier the=20
> distribution is made for the user, the less the user can have control=20
> of the system.  (It reminds me of my experiences with Windows.)  I am=20
> also concerned with newer products having more "bells and whistles"=20
> which take up RAM and hard drive space and produce visual clutter and=20
> rarely offer anything I could use.  I prefer simplicity in my products.=

> I would like to bring my machine in to the InstallFest, but I have no=20
> other Linux distributions.  I also would like to learn more about=20
> maintaining and updating a Linux OS.  Any suggestions?
I do not have a recommended distro. I've found that Ubuntu on my laptop=20
maintains itself very well, and when the next release is available, all=20
you need to do is to click on a button. There was one issue, and that is =

whether you set your system up for normal or LTS. With LTS, you do not=20
get every upgrade, because LTS is similar in concept to an Enterprise=20
distro.

In the past, I had performed successful upgrades of SuSE.

While I am currently running Fedora 9, I have no personal experience=20
with upgrades as in the past, I had normally done clean installs. I may=20
do an upgrade to Fedora 10, just to see how stable it is.

I have not used a pure debian system in years,  and Dan made some good=20
comments.

So, I don't think this clears anything up.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846