wxWidgets

wxWidgets is a pretty good cross-platform API, but I prefer QT.  QT has a very nice structure, easy to port and a nice WYSIWYG GUI designer which makes creating a GUI child's play.  Just throwing it out there in case anyone else wants to know about good cross-platform API's...

- Jared

________________________________
From: "markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org" <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org>
To: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:23:12 AM
Subject: wxWidgets

I have been looking for a way to support Windows, Mac, and Linux for a
project. I was toying with using Java, but that means people have to have
a working java installation or "I" need to be able install java for them.

I asked a while back for a mac guy to do some basic app framework stuff,
(I already had a command line program, I needed GUI stuff done.) and got
some pointers to some useful projects (thanks BTW!)

Then, I had a vague memory of a pretty cheesy project called wxWindows
many years back. It was pretty weak, but might be a good enough start. I
wondered if it were still available. I wondered if they supported Mac. A
quick google later, I found wxWidgets (Borg induced name change). It has
come a long way and looks pretty decent.

If you are facing a similar issue of wanting to create a GUI app, but
don't want to be tied to a particular platform, this looks pretty good.
They support Mac, Windows, and POSIX. (Linux, etc.) The cool part is that
they have multiple GUI methodologies on Linux, i.e. Motif, X11, GTK.

If there is interest, I'll write up a review of my experience getting a
simple project up on three platforms when I am done.