Comcast/Mythtv (OT?)

on a mostly/kinda/sort of related note:

i'm running mythdora 5 and i'm trying to get it talk to my cable box which
has a firewire port.  it is a motorola 3416.  i wnet over to microcenter
this weekend and picked up a firewire card.  unfortunately, i can't get the
o/s to recognize the card. i get kernel errors flooding /var/log/messages
saying uhci_hcd problems, controller error, pci system problems.
i've tried upgrading the mythdora o/s. however, it fails on a vmlinuz
dependenct that i haven't been able to resolve.  so, not being one to shy
away from over complex solutions...  i put another hd in the box and
installed fedora 9 and mythtv from the atrpms.  i still get the same kernel
messages and my pvr-350 card went missing!
so, i'm thinking i don't have a good or supported firewire card. it is an
ads tech dual-link pci card.  the server i'm using is limited to pci.
can anyone recommend a decent (cheap) firewire pci that will work with
mythdora 5 (2.6.24.4-64) and an intel mobo?

tia...