Comcast/Mythtv (OT?)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Bill Bogstad wrote:

>> * Anybody else see this insert in their Comcast bill?
>
> What did it look like? I see a notice about the price increases happening in
> December.

On my bill, it was footnote #3 in the section on new Cable prices for
Cambridge.  The footnote reads:

"3. Standard Cable includes Basic Service and Expanded Basic Service.
Effective December 1, 2008, Standard Cable will no longer be offered
for new subscription."

Always remember when reading a contract written by someone else, the
text giveth and the flyspeck footnotes taketh away.

Standard Basic is the maximum analog TV service which is currently
available in my area.  It consists of Basic Service (basically local
broadcast signals)
plus Expanded Basic ('premium' channels via analog signal).  I am
subscribed to one of their digital packages with a Comcast supplied
box so I can do On-Demand viewing. My KnoppMyth box currently records
directly from analog via cable splitters rather then trying to manage
the settop box.  If Standard Cable (full analog goes away) the only
analog signal which will be sold to new customers will be the
equivalent of using an antenna in the pre-digital TV age.  Customer
attrition will likely reduce the number of people on Expanded Basic
fairly quickly and they'll do something to 'encourage' people to
switch.  Comcast recently forced me to switch from the older non-VOIP
phone service to their current offering just a a couple of months ago
which is why I'm concerned...

Bill Bogstad