MythTV and FireWire (was: Comcast/Mythtv)

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 21:14 -0500, John Boland wrote:
> well, the card has two via chips on it.  one is vt6307 and the other is
> vt6214l.  the card has 3 firewire and 3 usb 2.0 ports.

Ah, okay. The vt6307 is the firewire chip. They've got some issues when
they're in ohci 1.0 mode that we've yet to get resolved in the juju
firewire stack... Basically, the 6306 and 6307 frequently stall out on
isochronous receive dma programs (i.e. dvgrab and mpeg2 video capture
from a cable box).

> i'm not interested
> in the extra usb ports at the moment so i didn't look for extra usb in lspci
> output.  i wouldn't mind letting you have it.  hard to say when i'll be at
> another meeting (my wife is on executive council at our local community
> center and of course their meetings are the third wed of the month!).  we
> can make other arrangements.

Appreciate the offer, but I've actually got a pair of vt6307 controllers
and a vt6306 to prod already. :)

> now i need to find a decent card with ti chips.  any recommendations?
> btw, how do i add the 'juju' stack to mythdora?

For mythdora 5, which is Fedora 8-based... you'd have your work cut out
for you a bit. You'd need/want a newer kernel, and the libraw1394 from
at least Fedora 9. Plus, I need to do a bit more testing and possibly
patching of mythtv itself, so it'll play nicer w/juju. My goal is to
have it all working for the next mythdora release, which will be Fedora
10 based, and there should be a beta out Real Soon Now...

> as always,  thanks for the quick response.

No problem, always happy to (try to) help. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org