Comcast/Mythtv (OT?)

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On my bill, it was footnote #3 in the section on new Cable prices for
> Cambridge.  The footnote reads:
>
> "3. Standard Cable includes Basic Service and Expanded Basic Service.
> Effective December 1, 2008, Standard Cable will no longer be offered
> for new subscription."

Ah, yes, I see that.

> Standard Basic...consists of Basic Service (basically local broadcast
> signals) plus Expanded Basic ('premium' channels via analog signal).

Technically I don't think they're called premium channels. Those, like
HBO, were vacated from analog a while ago, I think. All (or at least
most of) the stuff on "Expanded Basic" is commercial supported. Kinda
makes you wonder why they cost anything.

Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> If some consumer forces have their way, getting the cable companies to
> transmit more channels in clear QAM is also a lost cause. There is
> public pressure to get them to offer most channels "a la carte" instead
> of as part of bundles; if that happens the likely method of
> implementation is mandatory smart cable boxes, plus encrypted
> transmission of nearly all content.

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. And I had been in favor
of "a la carte" unbundling, too.

> A better move might be to push for a standard control interface for
> interface between PVRs and cable boxes... The cable companies won't
> like that either, as they would rather sell you a PVR...

That'd be great, but what are the chances it'll turn out any better than
CableCard did?

Can't you control some STBs via Firewire, in addition to getting the
video via Firewire? The whole Firewire interface to STBs seems real
rickety and unreliable right now, but maybe it'll get better.

> About the only things you'll get in the clear are local broadcast
> channels, local access (if it survives), any extra PBS content they
> choose to carry, shopping channels, and C-SPAN.

I guess here, as with other mediums, DRM will drive users towards piracy
instead of away from it. If cable companies make it too hard for
knowledgeable consumers to use their content in the desired (and legal)
way, those users will just go elsewhere, like broadcast, supplemented
with BitTorrent.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro