Comcast/Mythtv (OT?)

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 10:10 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > The HD-PVR can be configured such that it isn't so bad for many systems
> > already capable of mpeg2 HDTV playback. The default encoding settings
> > are 13.5Mbit streams, constant bitrate. That kicks underpowered systems
> > in the teeth. If you go to variable bitrate and a slightly lower max
> > bitrate, even a mere 2GHz machine w/Intel graphics can play back the
> > resulting recording. (yes, I say "mere" somewhat tongue-in-cheek). My
> > 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, Intel X3100 graphics Dell Studio Hybrid can play
> > back 10Mbit VBR recordings from the HD-PVR just fine, chokes on the
> > 13Mbit CBR stuff. Not sure what the actual thresholds are, haven't
> > played w/my HD-PVR all that much.
>
> I'm still waiting for:
>
> 1) Multi-HD-PVR support (having multiple HD-PVRs connected to the
>    same Mythtv box)

Hrm, I'd assumed that was already doable, but I take it that's not the
case? I know Janne does plan to support multiple devices.

> 2) Channel Changing through the HD-PVR.  (I think this would be
>    a requirement for #1).

Janne does have some patches for lirc_ziloc to add both IR send and
receive via the HD-PVR, which I believe he said were almost ready...

> I'm hoping these features are on the drawing board, because using
> the HD-PVR is a real-world system depends on them. :(

Yeah, mine is still mostly just sitting there, due to lack of time to do
anything with it... Then firewire started [almost] working w/the new
stack, and that's only further sidetracked me... :)

--jarod