Thou shalt not question Comcast

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Same thing happened to me a few months ago (search the archives of this list).
>  Except I dragged it out a few days by convincing them to take the port 25
> block off a couple times.  But ultimately the same outcome.  I ignored their
> warning about running web, mail, and ssh servers (oh, the horrors!), and while
> I was out of town on business travel, they shut off my internet access for
> "abuse".
>
> I ended up buying some hosting on 1and1 for my web site, and using dyndns'
> mailhop service to get my mail.
>
> Still makes me mad.

I'm having trouble understanding your point of view.  You decided to go
with a cheap service that explicitly forbids you to run servers, then
you run servers, and are mad at them when they block the servers?
They're enforcing the agreement you signed up for.  Why are you mad?

Sorry to be so objective about this, but if running a server is
important to you, then get internet access that allows servers.

> As soon as it's convenient for me, I'm switching to the lesser of two evils
> (Verizon FIOS).

How will that help in the long run?  Verizon FiOS forbid servers too.
You'll likely face the same problem with them eventually.

I used SpeakEasy for many years as a satisfied customer, until Verizon
prooved so incompetent they couldn't keep my copper running clean.  Now
Business, which allows any servers I want.