no server rule revisited [Was: Re: Thou shalt not question Comcast]

My best basis for understanding is: they are not an ISP in their mind,
they are a 'cable company', and have
not made the mental and philosophical transition.  I guess one could
'harden' their connection to make
fingerprinting more of an issue, or make it look more like a 'supported' OS.

But only allowing two OSes, basically the ones oriented to the more
'non-computer types', does seem a
bit much, but it also shows their rules are written by bureaucrats and
not people with a broader technical
understanding.

We can blow off steam at them, but the real question is:

  How can we live by our rules by making them think we are playing their
game their way?

Defining what they think their game is, I would guess, is
  1) appear to use a supported OS
  2) appear to not use 'excessive bandwidth'
  3) appear to not be providing 'undesirable services'

Now, how can we 'appear' to be model 'cable' citizens?