F10 Install from HD

Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> Yes. You can download the isolinux kernel and initrd. Put them in your
>> /boot directory.
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/ap-medialess-install.html
>>

>> Booting the isolinux allows you to point to an HD or a CD/DVD.
>>
> I just want to follow up on this. Shortly after I posted this message, I
> downloaded isolinux vmlinux and initrd.img, set them up in /boot, and
> started the install. The first problem is that the initial download of
> install.img from the mirror site seemed to hang, so I restarted the
> install process from the same mirror. The whole process took about 1:45
> from start to finish, and I am currently running on Fedora 10. So far,
> everything seems to work fine.
>
> The reason for the network install is that I didn't want to make another
> boot DVD since I have the Fedora 10 Preview, and I want to test the
> network install for my own knowledge.

So, did you add the method=ftp://<path to mirror> to the
boot parameters? I have just tested the grub setup I created
and after a couple tries got the path correct to the local
image. I won't do an internet install because I purchased
the cheapest slowest DSL package from my ISP, which is
probably a third the speed of the typical service. It takes
12 hours to download the dvd iso direct. Bittorrent would
take days as they limit down to what your up is.

Jim KR