Moving a modem requires that a technician visit?

On Thursday 04 December 2008 10:51:34 Chris Robichaud wrote:
> While some renovations occur where I am living I have had to relocate my
> modem to a different room in the house. I thought it would be as simple as
> plugging it into a different coax connection but apparently not. According
> to Comcast they have to send a technician out to "activate" the new
> connection, and it will take only a few minutes once he/she arrives. Does
> anyone know what they are going to do, and if I can save myself some time
> and just do it myself?
>
> More info: The modem is a Motorola Surfboard and after powering on, the
> receive light blinks for a second, then stays steady, then the send light
> blinks forever.

I'm pretty sure the issue you're having is due to the fact that there is a
filter installed on the line that goes to the modem to avoid interference from
the television signals traveling on the wire.  Or, vice-versa, the filter is on
the rest of the house, providing clean TV signal without the data interference
of Internet traffic.

The work is simply to isolate the wiring to the modem with the appropriate
filtering.  If you have coax, crimping tools and connectors then you could do
it.

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing