Moving a modem requires that a technician visit?

Chris Robichaud wrote:
> While some renovations occur where I am living I have had to relocate my
> modem to a different room in the house. I thought it would be as simple as
> plugging it into a different coax connection but apparently not. According
> to Comcast they have to send a technician out to "activate" the new
> connection, and it will take only a few minutes once he/she arrives. Does
> anyone know what they are going to do, and if I can save myself some time
> and just do it myself?
>
> More info: The modem is a Motorola Surfboard and after powering on, the
> receive light blinks for a second, then stays steady, then the send light
> blinks forever.

It might be that the new jack has too many splitters in the path to it, and
doesn't get as good of a signal.  Check the modem diagnostics (point your web
browser to 192.168.100.1 I think) at both locations, and look for differences
in signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio.

If that's the case, then he'll probably just be adding an amplifier or
changing one of the splitters to an 'active splitter'.

You might peruse this site:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech

HTH,
Matt