[OT] PC Bundling at Best Buy

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 02:07:31PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> A friend of mine who owns a small diner in South Boston went to Best Buy
> to check on notebook prices, and they told him that he would have to buy
> not only the notebook, but pay an additional $300 for the software.
> Since he is not computer literate, I want to see what is happening with
> bundling Windows with PCs these days. I'm seeing notebooks currently in
> the $300-$400 range with either Windows XP Home Edition or Windows Vista
> Home Edition, and a few with Linux. I'm wondering if the extra $300
> might be for Windows Vista Ultimate and/or Microsoft Office.

Hi Jerry,
sounds like a total rip job, like the stuff the "finance guy" does
to unknowing car buyers

floor mats $400,
special paint sealant $300
special warranty $$$
etc..

There is no way its reasonable to double the price of the unit
for any regular OS or software. IIRC that the typical cost of the
OS bundled with an OEM unit is $15 (but that was 10 years ago)

get the model number from your friend and we will investigate!

Maybe he would be better off buying from a Mail order house.

Jeff.