NetworkManager?

Stephen Adler wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I just recently set up another system with fedora 10, this time from
> scratch. Or rather it was an install, not an upgrade. When I logged in,
> the desktop had the network manager icon in the tool bar at the top of
> the desktop. This does not appear on my upgraded fedora 10 systems. Does
> anyone know if the network manager package is worth using? It looks like
> it does auto connects etc for laptops which move from one place to
> another. But for my desktop in my home office, which never moves, it may
> not be worth using...

I use it on all my systems nowadays.  It used to have issues with static
IPs, but that seems better now.

One of the reasons I'd recommend it is the ifplug functionality: if you
unplug the cable, it "does the right thing" by bringing the interface down
(so network operations return failure immediately instead of timing out,
etc).  Likewise when you plug it back in, it will immediately
reactivate/renew-DHCP.

Matt