fetchmail problem

dan moylan wrote:
> though i'm not aware of any system changes i might have
> made, fetchmail, which fetched yesterday, does not do so
> today.
>
> i see the following:
>
>   4 messages for jdm+moylan.us at moylan.us (16100 octets).
>   fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25]
>   failed: Connection refused.
>   fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
>   fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
>   jdm+moylan.us-LPA1KyJyIuz1P9xLtpHBDw at public.gmane.org and delivering to SMTP host
>   localhost
>   reading message jdm+moylan.us-LPA1KyJyIuz1P9xLtpHBDw at public.gmane.org:1 of 4 (1360
>   octets)fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
>
> ubuntu 8.10, network tools, shows ports 22, 80, 631, and
> 33829 as open.  do i need to open port 25, and if so, what
> tool do i use to do it?  i fiddled with ufw without success.

It looks like your mail server (sendmail, postfix, or whatever) isn't
running. You should have a process listening at port 25 - output of
netstat -an should have a like looking like this:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

or maybe this if the mailer is only listening on localhost:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

fetchmail is trying to contact this mailer so it can deliver, and the
mailer is apparently not there to respond.

Nathan