> 4GB RAM

I've been looking at "desktop replacement" class notebooks lately, and I
see there are at least some that support more than 4 GB of RAM, even if
equipped with only 4 GB.

I haven't looked into this yet, but I'm wondering:

1. If greater than 4GB RAM is all that useful. I know it can be if
you're running a 64-bit OS and using memory intensive applications, like
databases, but the intended application for the machine will be as a
developer's desktop, and it'll probably have Ubuntu as the base, with
one or more virtual guest OSs (like Windows XP) running at all times. If
the VM hosts, like Virtualbox or KVM, can span the 4 GB barrier, then
the extra RAM will eventually be quite useful.

2. Even if the manufacturer doesn't claim support for > 4 GB, the
ability to support higher density memory chips is often just a matter of
a BIOS change. The problem is that BIOS updates to support hardware
beyond what was shipped is less likely in a notebook.

I'm also finding that for some machines the manufacturers are quite
vague in their specifications. They seem to be more focused on
describing what is included in a particular configuration, rather than
describing the capabilities of the platform.

I looked at an Acer model, for example, which listed 4 GB as being
included in the sales literature, listed obsolete specs. on their
support site, and the manual was made generic enough that it had no
specs at all, and the RAM section only described how to physically
install the modules without mentioning capacity.

I suppose I can resort to looking up specs on the chipset to get a
better idea. I could call the manufacturer, but I'm not hopeful that a
support rep trained in the various techniques for reinstalling Windows
is going to be able to give a definitive answer on the hardware
capabilities.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro