yet another day in fedora land...

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 01:45:44PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> On 12/14/2008 01:39 PM, Nathan Meyers wrote:
>>> I've never had a successful upgrade with Red Hat and its offshoots - I
>>> haven't even tried in a few years after some really dismal experiences.
>>> FWIW, I'm finding Debian (Kubuntu, specifically) to be much better in
>>> that regard.
>>>
>> I think it is more Ubuntu than Debian per se. I found on my laptop that
>> the upgrades were nearly automatic.
>
> I think any tendency to such smoothness in Ubuntu is inherited from
> Debian. I have systems which have been upgraded in place from Debian
> 2.1 to current stable, and I expect them to make a smooth transition to
> Woody when that is released.
>
> -dsr-

I've had 3 successive upgrades on my laptop of Fedora. 7 to
8 and then to 10. Each time there was a hangup in the
beginning and it would stop just before upgrading the
installed software. I just restarted the install and it went
fine. The thing with Fedora is they keep changing the way
things work so you can't expect that you are going to use
the same software or sequences to do what you did before.
Not as bad as going from Office 2000 to 2007. I can't
imagine how many seasoned word users with all the keyboard
commands memorized could stomach what MS did.

Jim