MediaWiki presentation

Greg Rundlett-5 wrote:

> Interested in MediaWiki, and how you can use it in production?

Yes, thanks for the ad. I'll be going to the talk. (Will RSVP.)

Greg Rundlett-5 wrote:

> * Do you want to know how to use MW - either standalone, or as a
> wikipedian?
> * Do you want to know more about how the system works, including how
> to theme it?

Sure. Convince me it's not that scary for site admins. I'm a DokuWiki user.
I took one look at the MediaWiki source code and Pine-eqsue system of
plugin-by-patching and ran away in fear. (This characterization is based on
my impression over a year ago, and may not reflect reality at all.) I feel
that MediaWiki is just not worth the administrative overhead for small sites
(less than ~500 pages).

Greg Rundlett-5 wrote:

> * Do you want to know how to configure/administer it in certain ways -
> meaning what extensions do you need to do X?

Everyone likes a good dog and pony show.

Greg Rundlett-5 wrote:

> * Do you want to know what extensions are, and how you can develop
> your own custom functionality in MW?

Yes please. What's it like to code for MediaWiki?

Greg Rundlett-5 wrote:

> * Do you want to hear about what's going on in the MW community and
> new developments such as semantic mediawiki?

Sounds interesting.

(Is it appropriate that I'm replying to all here? Seems to me this can be a
discussion and not necessarily just an ad.)