upgrading video cards...

Gregory Boyce <gboyce-qL0WqcyiFk9Wk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:

>>> For the record, same thing with akmods.
>>
>> The only problem with dkms (I've never heard about akmods) is that
>> it doesn't build the module for the new kernel until you reboot.
>> That doesn't help if you have a module that needs to be in the
>> preboot (initrd).  Imagine if you need a third-party disk driver
>> module -- how would you solve that with a dkms or akmod solution?
>
> I suppose you'd need an initrd that has the ability to run dkms
> without gaining access to the local disk.   Perhaps mount an NFS
> volume with access to the necessary kernel headers and tools required
> for the compile.
>
> Alternatively, don't buy a disk controller that requires a third party
> module.

Neither of which are reasonable choices, the latter even more-so.  I
used a disk driver as an example concept -- this has nothing to do
with a physical piece of hardware per se.

What I'd like to see is a dkms solution that works based on RPM
install triggers...  So when you install a new kernel package it
automatically fires off the rebuild without requiring a reboot.

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available