upgrading video cards...

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Neither of which are reasonable choices, the latter even more-so.  I
> used a disk driver as an example concept -- this has nothing to do
> with a physical piece of hardware per se.

The current approach works fine unless you can't access the necessary
files during the early boot process.  This means either disk controller or
possibly networking in cases where you're network mounting filesystems.

How many disk controllers out there actually require proprietary drivers?

> What I'd like to see is a dkms solution that works based on RPM
> install triggers...  So when you install a new kernel package it
> automatically fires off the rebuild without requiring a reboot.

This would be a reasonable approach if you wanted to tie into a particular
package management system.  I'm guessing their approach was an attempt to
be package manager agnostic.