upgrading video cards...

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 11:45 -0500, Gregory Boyce wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Neither of which are reasonable choices, the latter even more-so.  I
> > used a disk driver as an example concept -- this has nothing to do
> > with a physical piece of hardware per se.
>
> The current approach works fine unless you can't access the necessary
> files during the early boot process.  This means either disk controller or
> possibly networking in cases where you're network mounting filesystems.
>
> How many disk controllers out there actually require proprietary drivers?
>
> > What I'd like to see is a dkms solution that works based on RPM
> > install triggers...  So when you install a new kernel package it
> > automatically fires off the rebuild without requiring a reboot.
>
> This would be a reasonable approach if you wanted to tie into a particular
> package management system.  I'm guessing their approach was an attempt to
> be package manager agnostic.

This is *exactly* what /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ is designed to handle.
Its present in RHEL, Fedora and Ubuntu, not sure about others.
Basically, drop a scriptlet in there, and it'll get executed
post-kernel-install (there's also a corresponding prerm.d). I can't
remember if akmods wire into this or not, but it was actually Matt
Domsch over at Dell (where dkms originated) who asked that Fedora and
RHEL add the /etc/kernel/*.d/ directories and hooks in the kernel
packages for exactly this sort of thing.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org