upgrading video cards...

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 13:24 -0500, Gregory Boyce wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
> > This is *exactly* what /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ is designed to handle.
> > Its present in RHEL, Fedora and Ubuntu, not sure about others.
> > Basically, drop a scriptlet in there, and it'll get executed
> > post-kernel-install (there's also a corresponding prerm.d). I can't
> > remember if akmods wire into this or not, but it was actually Matt
> > Domsch over at Dell (where dkms originated) who asked that Fedora and
> > RHEL add the /etc/kernel/*.d/ directories and hooks in the kernel
> > packages for exactly this sort of thing.
>
> Ah, cool.  Its been a few years since I've compiled my own kernel rather
> than running the vendor provided kernel.

Huh?

This is *for* vendor-provided kernels. In the Fedora case, the kernel
rpm's %post section scours /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ for scripts to run,
such as "rebuild the dkms-ified driver for my wacky device that doesn't
have in-tree support". I believe this part is done just before initrd
generation, so that such things can also be included in the initrd, if
need be.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org