upgrading video cards...

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 13:39 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:

> >> Ah, cool.  Its been a few years since I've compiled my own kernel rather
> >> than running the vendor provided kernel.
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > This is *for* vendor-provided kernels. In the Fedora case, the kernel
> > rpm's %post section scours /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ for scripts to run,
> > such as "rebuild the dkms-ified driver for my wacky device that doesn't
> > have in-tree support". I believe this part is done just before initrd
> > generation, so that such things can also be included in the initrd, if
> > need be.
>
> How does it make sure that the kernel-devel package is installed prior
> to this?   The kernel package doesn't depend on the -devel package.

In the akmods case, if you install a specific kernel module akmod
package, you get the umbrella akmods package that contains some of the
infra bits, and that has a dependency on kernel-devel. Or something like
that. So assuming you don't *only* upgrade the kernel, you should get a
new kernel and matching kernel-devel at the same time. In thinking about
it though, I'm not sure how that works 100% of the time without some
strict package ordering that would ensure kernel-devel was installed
before kernel... (which there could be and I'm simply not aware of it).

Actually, from what I've seen, most akmod packages just rebuild on the
next boot, they don't bother tying into those postinst.d hooks. Would be
interesting to see if the hooks really can be made to work reliably for
the "need stuff in initrd" case though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org