smartd errors

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Got some smartd errors appearing today on a brand new (!) disk:
> Device: /dev/sdc, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> Device: /dev/sdc, 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I believe this is indicating a bad sector, which the drive was unable to
correct, so it remapped it.

> However, I ran both a short and a long test with smartctl, and the
> disk shows no errors.
>
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> # 1  Extended offline    Self-test routine in progress 90%       159
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       158
> # 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       157
> # 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       155

I would expect it to only show up after a long test, as that's the one
that does the surface scan, and then only on the first test when the
error was discovered, because after which the sector would already have
been remapped.

It's also possible that if the above SMART events occurred during normal
disk I/O, rather than during a long test, the next long test would show
no error because again the sector would already have been remapped.

> As of right now, I'm figuring to RMA the thing (since it's less than
> a week old), but I'm just wondering if I'm overreacting.

Probably. I wouldn't consider one bad sector out of the ordinary.

Take a look at the SMART FAQ. There is some discussion on how to deal
with bad sectors.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

> Just looking for advice on how to proceed.

I'd run repeated long tests on the drive for the next week to see if the
bad sector count grows. If it does, then that's the time to RMA it.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA