apt-get problem

On 12/30/2008 10:36 PM, dan moylan wrote:
> jack coats writes:
>  =20
>> Just because it sounds like the thing I might do, did you
>> do an 'apt-get update' first?  I am guessing you did, just
>> curious.
>>    =20
>
> thanks for thinking well of me, but no, i hadn't.  having
> run ubuntu for about a year and a half, i never ran apt-get
> update from the command line, nor did i know one needed to,
> though i have breezed through the man pages numerous times,
> and should have seen it.
>
> does the little sustem update gui on the task bar accomplish
> that, because in fact i hadn't got even that far on this
> installation, and perhaps had on numeroous previous ones
> that never had the problem.
>
> at any rate, after doing the update as you recommended, the
> problem has vanished.  thank you.
>  =20
Since you have the problem solved, I'll just followup to have you take a =

look at System/Administration/Software Sources. You probably should have =

'universe' and 'multiverse' checked. Under the Updates tab, there is a=20
pulldown for the "Release upgrade". You can set this to normal so that=20
you get the prompt when they release a new version. If you have it set=20
to LTS, then you won't see this for all releases. For a server or=20
possibly enterprise desktops, I would use LTS, but for home use I would=20
use Normal.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846