audio problem

    >> In my experience, just not sounding usually means the mixer
    >> has a screwed up setting.  Get a good mixer -- I usually use
    >> gnome-alsa-mixer on ubuntu.  There are several check boxes
    >> with incomprehensible names, and they need to be set right,
    >> and nobody can tell you what "right" is.  Set a file playing
    >> and check and uncheck boxes until you can hear it.

    dan> don't know that i'm using a mixer. play is part of sox, and
    dan> just runs from the command line.  you see it clunking along
    dan> through the file, but nothing comes out.

You probably aren't using a mixer, but alsa is using settings that you
can change if you do use a mixer.  One of the things that happens is
that you update Ubuntu and some app designer has implemented some
defaults that work for him or her.

    >> It would really be nice if LINUX sound would some day work
    >> as well as many other things on LINUX do.

    dan> it used to work just fine -- oh, well.

When it works, it does usually work just fine.  The number of times it
stops working without my being aware that I've changed anything is
what I'm complaining about.

I think the thing to think about is why you're getting a system beep
but not music.  And the only way I know to think about it is to run a
mixer.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

America, where you're free to say anything you want, and you'd better
not say what you're not supposed to!

Tommy Smothers, quoted by Cory Doctorow on the Boing Boing blog