Zaphod mode dual-head on intel an graphics card in Fedora 10?

Hey,

I just upgraded my laptop from Fedora 7 to Fedora 10.  It's
got an Intel 945(GM?) graphics card.  In Fedora 7 I could
use the i810 xorg driver and setup a dual-head environment
where I'd get the gnome panel on both screens (laptop at 1600x1050
and external monitor at 1024x768), :0.0 and :0.1.

Now that I've upgraded my old 2-screen xorg configuration
no longer works and I can't figure out how to get an
equivalent configuration working.

Please don't suggest the xrandr route.  It has issues for
multiple reasons:

1) I can't put the screens side-by-side, only top and bottom, but
   more importantly,
2) the VGA monitor is "Screen 0" which means GNOME would wander
   there instead of remaining on my laptop screen,
3) Only one of the monitors would get the gnome panel, and
4) Using "fullscreen" would take up both monitors, not just the
   one (1024x768).

Any suggestions?

I'm not against compiling code if I need to, but I would certainly
prefer not to have to if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available