Observational humor

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I mean come on? How much faster are systems today than 10 years ago? Has
> the Linux kernel REALLY grown that much?

I was curious, so I downloaded some example kernels.

The last stable kernel release in 1999 was the 2.0.38 kernel (2.4 didn't
come out until 2001).  BZ2 compressed it was 5.8MB.  Uncompressed it was
33MB.

The latest stable kernel available today is 2.6.28.  BZ2 compressed it was
50MB.  Uncompressed it was 333MB.

That's quite a jump.